Vocab quizzes are the easiest part of the honors program. Vocab units are included in the literature units and promote a fuller understanding of the work.
One vocab assignment is given per unit: vocab sentences for each word. These sentences must follow the rules. One sample sentence ten random words is taken from a student's assignment and used as a fill-in-the-blank question on the quiz.
Sentence Assignment RulesEdit
- Write an original sentence that demonstrates a full understanding of the word.
- Any word or variation of the word found in the definition given may NOT be used in the sentence.
- Each sentence must be a compound or complex sentence.
- A compound sentence refers to a sentence made up of two independent clauses (or complete sentences) connected to each other with a coordinating conjunction.
- A complex sentence is made up of an independent clause and one or more dependent clauses connected to it. A dependent clause is similar to an independent clause, or complete sentence, but it lacks one of the elements that would make it a complete sentence.
- Tense and number may be changed, but part of speech may NOT be changed.
- Underline the vocabulary word in the sentence.
- Assignment must be typed and in MLA format.
- The sentences must be varied in construction.
Quizzes are taken out of a possible 35 points. Each question is worth a point.
There are three parts of a vocab quiz: matching, fill-in-the-blank, and identification.
Matching: All 20 definitions are listed, with a word bank at the top of the page. This word bank has letters a though t next to each word. Students must match the word to the correct definition and write the corresponding letter next to the definition number on the line provided.
Fill-in-the-Blank: 10 words are chosen at random and a sentence for each is selected from students' assignments. The word is not given, and the students must choose the correct word and write it in the provided space.
Identification: Five vocab words are given, and the student must identify its part of speech and write it in the space provided.
After the quiz is graded, it is returned. a perfect score of 35/35 and a score of 34/35 earn the student a sticker that they may choose from the selection.